OT: open source attitude on advice

Hi,

At  6:09 PM PST on November  1 Peter Bisset sent off:
> It was interesting that, despite giving the reason I
> wanted to send html email, someone still thought it
> was a bad idea, or at least a little suspect. We need
> to change from this sort of approach to implementing
> solutions if open source solutions are going to be
> more readily accepted, especially in the public
> sector, where I work.

I know the point you're getting at, but after taking away (as in something
buried deep down in a public sector budget) the obvious financial benefit
for the consumer from open source software, the next most important
advantage of open source programming is that, to paraphrase the Rolling
Stones,

Commercial programmers (in most cases) try to produce whatever consumers want.

Open source programmers try to produce whatever is needed.

This especially applies to advice, which is what makes this message
partially on topic for this list.

--
Not responsible for advice not taken, or for advice taken from someone who's
trying to sell you something.