Re: mutt changes from/to headers - how to prohibit it?

Hello Michael,

 On Thursday, October 28, 2004 at 12:45:14 PM +0200, Michael Tatge wrote:

> alternates (root|postmaster|blinkeye)@mydomain

    It's better to anchor beginning and end, to avoid some common false
positives (like ml robot putting <bounce-ml=blinkeye@mydomain>):

| alternates ^(root|postmaster|blinkeye)@mydomain$

> folder-hook . "my_hdr From: blinkeye@mydomain"
>> folder-hook .box2 my_hdr From: somename@*otherdomain* (some name)

    "my_hdr From:" is not necessary. In folder-hooks you can better
simply set $from and friends:

| set from="blinkeye@mydomain"
| set realname="Blink Eye"
| folder-hook .        'set from="blinkeye@mydomain"    realname="Blink Eye"'
| folder-hook \\.box2$ 'set from="somename@otherdomain" realname="some name"'

    One may want to set other things in the same way, say $hostname,
$signature, $pgp_sign_as, or "my_hdr Organization:". But at some stage
putting all such settings in id files and only sourcing them from
folder-hooks is clearer. And reusable to set default values both in
default folder-hook and statically (folder-hooks are not triggered when
Mutt composes from command line). And reusable in macros to manualy
override a folder's profile.

    "my_hdr From:" is strictly necessary only in send-hooks. All other
cases allow simply setting $from/$realname, and may benefit from it
(function <bounce-message> can use profile, feature $reverse_name can be
enabled, temporary override with handy reset to whatever previous
setting is possible).

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt muttrc tip to send mails in best adapted first necessary and sufficient
charset (version for East Europe Latin-2/CP-852/CP-1250 terminal users):