Re: mutt changes from/to headers - how to prohibit it?

* On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 BlinkEye (BlinkEye@xxxxxx) muttered:
> hello
>
> i've been trying for two days now and i can't get it to work. mutt
> changes my from/to headers occasionaly or not the way i want it to.
>
> this is my last .muttrc i tried out:
>
> set realname="Blink Eye"
> set from="blinkeye@*mydomain*"
> alternates (root|postmaster)@*mydomain*

your alternates do not cover your default from
alternates (root|postmaster|blinkeye)@mydomain

folder-hook . "my_hdr From: blinkeye@mydomain"

> folder-hook .box2 my_hdr From: somename@*otherdomain* (some name)

hook without default hook. use the one and the order above.

> i now send a mail from somename@*otherdomain* to blinkeye@*mydomain* and
> reply the mail mutt wants to send the mail from somename@*otherdomain*
> to somename@*otherdomain*! WTF?
>
> here's the header of such a message:

> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:14:11 +0200
> From: Other User <somename@*otherdomain*>
> To: blinkeye@*mydomain*
> Subject: headers test (from/to address)
>
> what am i doing wrong? how could i prohibit mutt to change the headers,
> i.e. to use every time the to-field as the from-field of the reply
> message?

As a fallback - do not use reverse_name.
But first change alternates as above and add the missing default hook.
It will most likely work after that.

just checked with with muttrc

set realname="Blink Eye"
set from="blinkeye@mydomain"
alternates (root|postmaster|blinkeye)@mydomain
set use_from
set reverse_name
unset reverse_realname

Does as it should.

HTH,

Michael
--
I did this 'cause Linux gives me a woody.  It doesn't generate revenue.
(Dave '-ddt->` Taylor, announcing DOOM for Linux)

GPG Key ID: 0xDC1A44DD