Re: mutt and filtering

Thorsten Haude <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> muttered:
> Look at my other mail and try to post some Procmail solution for my
> Maildrop snippets. After you failed, post some snippets from your
> Procmail file to convert to Maildrop. (Yes, strictly speaking this is
> a test of capabilities, not ease-of-use, but I think the latter will
> be made clear on the way.)

sigh. take the cake, you earned it. ;)

just because nobody here is bothering to write a procmail recipe port
of your maildrop snippet doesn't mean that your beloved maildrop is
easier to use than procmail, better in the long run, or even more
capable of having a nicer config.

Imvho, I'm glad I started with procmail right from the beginning and
thus will defend it to the death.

Whatever; if someone wants to write programmes and asks about user
experiences, which programming language best to use etc., there will
always be people who recommend basic instead of C or pascal. What
I'm saying is plain & simple:

"There's more than one way to do it."

You just got unlucky that your maildrop recommendation (or procmail
bashing maybe) is considered, well, quite basic in this case. Not a
particularly bad thing though, my humor even feeds on it.

> >So where is the problem using procmail...
>
> I don't have a problem because I don't use it. I only don't like the
> habit of recommending it to newbies without mentioning much better
> alternatives. Procmail is what the average Windows user expect from
> the average Linux program: Hard to understand yet fiercly defended for
> its ease-of-use.

First of all, the average windows user best stays with windows and
doesn't indulge in philosophical discussions of this kind.

There's a reason procmail is so widely spread, it gets the job done.
And other basic snippets of code are able of achieving the same,
obviously.

The reason I can recommend procmail, without any hesitation that it
might be too much of a burden for the newb to handle, is that the
newbs I knew didn't stay newbs for long and in the long run it just
paid off.

Now I just hope you got most of my jokes :-)

- --
Bastard Administrator in $hell