bad PGP sig (was: When is a sig not a sig?)

Hello René and owner!

 On Friday, September 24, 2004 at 5:47:11 PM +0200, René Clerc wrote:

>> gpg: BAD signature from "Rene Clerc"
> I have no idea why my signature has turned out to be BAD..

    Same cause as for David DTG recently: Dots at the beginning of a
line, normally QP-encoded by Mutt (=2E), were harmfully decoded in
transport. Verification fails.

    Take your own BAD mail from list, and DTG's 2 BAD, edit
"s/^\./=2E/", and the 3 verify GOOD.

    Dave (thanks!) resent me test mails with dots, directly off list:
GOOD sig. List mails from before agent57.gbnet.net crash give GOOD sig.

> perhaps this is a list software problem?

    Probably yes, or something around. MTA, MDA, filter, or something,
on colonelk.gbnet.net. CC to owner?

    BTW the s/^=2E/./ is not the only change in transport: It seems also
an empty line disappears between header and first MIME separator.
Harmless from PGP point of view.

    Last time I saw something like that (hi Thorsten!), very very *very*
near, culprit was a Perl MDA built around Mail::Audit.

Bye!    Alain.