Re: When is a sig not a sig?

* George <d1945@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [24-09-2004 17:22]:

[...]

> mutt doesn't always display signatures as signatures, i.e., they
> appear formatted as regular text.  The problem isn't random as it
> occurs consistently on the same messages.

Of course :)  Consistency rocks!  (see below)

> If I try to edit a problem message manually, vi doesn't seem to have any
> trouble parsing the sig line and displaying it as such.

Vim has own syntax files, which define what color to give what text
segments.  Has nothing to do with mutt.

> But what's really strange is that if I replace the message body with
> nothing but a correctly-formatted sig line like
>
> --
> insert pithy quote here
>
> mutt still insists on displaying the sig line as regular body text.
> This leads me to believe there's either a vast conspiracy at work, or
> I'm missing something.

After your signature delimiter, everything up until here was marked as
a signature over here..

> Thanks.

.. and this line was "normal" again..

> --
> George

.. and of course this is another signature.  Checking the check_sig
function in pager.c reveals that after a signature delimiter, mutt
will treat up until 4 lines as a signature "no matter what";  after
the 4th line, every subsequent line is part of the sig until a blank
line is encountered..

This is what the code tells me, and strokes with my experience.

I have no idea if I've answered your question / resolved your problem
with this post..

--
René Clerc                      - (rene@xxxxxxxx) - PGP: 0x9ACE0AC7

God is de stopverf van de wetenschap.