Re: Another encoding question...

Hello Alain,

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 06:26:00PM +0200, Alain Bench quoth:
>     Example bad mail has 2 problems: Raw unencoded headers, and false
> implicit US-Ascii body. Both contain Latin-1. And a funny CTE.

Thought it might.

> | From: "Jérôme" ATHIAS <[snip]@caramail.com>
>

> > I presume this can be fixed in mutt
>
>     You presume well, of course. I'd need to know the language(s) you
> read, but can yet propose those 3 lines:
>
> | unset strict_mime
> | set assumed_charset=windows-1252
> | charset-hook ^us-ascii$ windows-1252

Excellent! That fixed the header display in the pager. Thanks!

Hnfortunately, the header display is still a little weird... The
highlight of the line continues for two characters on the next line...
it's like mutt can't accurately figure out how long the line is. Here's
what it looks like (running on MacOS X)
http://www.memoryhole.net/~kyle/muttweirdline.gif

On the flip side, this made the characters at the end of the mail you
sent a little weird: the rest of the mail disappeared (when replying, in
vim, it all showed back up, including the asian-language characters, so
I know my terminal is capable of it).

> > $charset is set to "utf-8", to go with my uxterm.
>
>     Remove setting, and verify typing ":set ?charset" it is the same
> value. If not, fix system locale (probably LANG=en_US.UTF-8).

Yup - I don't set it in my muttrc, it gets set automagically, apparently
(LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8).

>     BTW the empty box is itself a glyph, so depending on the font you
> may see nothing, or a plain black box, a reverse video question mark, or
> even a nude J-Lo.

I haven't seen a font like THAT before! :)

Thanks for the help!
~Kyle

--
Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake.
-- Chessmaster Savielly Gricorievitch Tatrtak