Re: Another encoding question...

* Kyle Wheeler [Fri, 10 Sep 2004 23:40:58 -0500]:
> So... I have gotten a few messages (e.g. several from the Bugtraq
> mailing list) that don't seem to show up right (they have some accented
> characters), and make mutt choke when displaying them in the file index
> (blank blocks). I've tried other mailers (e.g. Apple Mail) which seem to
> be able to display the From bits "right" (I think).

  something like:

    set nostrict_mime assumed_charset=iso-8859-1

  should do. note that in the mailbox:

> An example (from Bugtraq) is in a tar'd Maildir here:
> http://www.memoryhole.net/~kyle/demomail.tar.bz2

  the header 'Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary' seems to mess up the
  things a little. with it in the header, you get (with the above line
  in the muttrc):

    - still blank blocks in the index
    - correct characters in the From header in the pager (no \123)
    - incorrect decoding in the body in the pager (? characters)

  removing the mentioned header, all the three places work ok. so
  perhaps you want some procmail rule removing a 'C-T-E: binary' line
  for some mails? (since I *believe* that mutt is not misbehaving wrt
  this header being present and there is not, AFAIK, any other way to
  make mutt ignore it.)

  hth.

> and $charset is set to "utf-8", to go with my
> uxterm.)

  btw and just in case, $charset should be set to "utf-8" automagically
  by mutt, i.e., you shouldn't have a "set charset" line in your
  ~/.muttrc.

--
Adeodato Simó
    EM: asp16 [ykwim] alu.ua.es | PK: DA6AE621

A hacker does for love what other would not do for money.