Re: Another encoding question...

Hello Kyle, Derek,

 On Friday, September 10, 2004 at 11:40:58 PM -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> So... I have gotten a few messages (e.g. several from the Bugtraq
> mailing list) that don't seem to show up right (they have some
> accented characters), and make mutt choke when displaying them in the
> file index (blank blocks).

    Example bad mail has 2 problems: Raw unencoded headers, and false
implicit US-Ascii body. Both contain Latin-1. And a funny CTE.

| From: "Jérôme" ATHIAS <[snip]@caramail.com>

> I presume this can be fixed in mutt

    You presume well, of course. I'd need to know the language(s) you
read, but can yet propose those 3 lines:

| unset strict_mime
| set assumed_charset=windows-1252
| charset-hook ^us-ascii$ windows-1252

> $charset is set to "utf-8", to go with my uxterm.

    Remove setting, and verify typing ":set ?charset" it is the same
value. If not, fix system locale (probably LANG=en_US.UTF-8).

 On Saturday, September 11, 2004 at 2:13:57 PM +0900, Derek D. Martin wrote:

> If you're seeing empty boxes, this means the glyph you're trying to
> see is not contained in the font you're using.

    True, but there are also 2 other cases where one may see empty
frames: The invalid bytes (Kyle's case), and the explicit Unicode U+FFFD
replacement char "�".

    BTW the empty box is itself a glyph, so depending on the font you
may see nothing, or a plain black box, a reverse video question mark, or
even a nude J-Lo.

안녕 하세요  Alain.
--
Offrez vos cycles processeur inutilisés à la recherche scientifique:
Projet Folding@home <URL:http://folding.stanford.edu/>.