Re: encrypted mboxes

* steVe <steve@xxxxxxx> [2004-08-19 10:11:20 -0500]:

> hey, i was wondering if anyone knew of a patch or something that allows
> users to read/write encrypted mboxes. we have a network home directory at
> work and it is rather unsecure. i don't want people easily reading my
> personal mail so i was thinking about writing a quick patch (or scripts)
> that allow for this. has this already been done?

You can probably do this sort of thing with the "compressed folder patch"
<URL:http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/compressed/>. While the name might suggest
otherwise this patch does let you specify what should be done to a folder
before it is opened and what should be done with it after it is opened. It
would, however, mean that there is an unencrypted copy of the folder kicking
around while you're reading it.

Might not be exactly the solution you were looking for but it might work in
the absence of anything else.

<URL:http://www.spinnaker.de/mutt/compressed/doc.html> has an example of
encryption and decryption towards the end of the page.

--
Dave Pearson:              | mutt.octet.filter - autoview octet-streams
http://www.davep.org/      | mutt.vcard.filter - autoview simple vcards