Re: header cache (was Re: Why isn't it part of mutt "proper")

2004-08-19T14:27:32 Thomas Glanzmann:
> * Bennett Todd <bet@xxxxxxxxx> [040819 16:02]:
> > Thanks! I guess I should figure out how to get my package creator to
> > re-build manual.txt.
>
> The problem is that the sgml2txt version of gentoo doesn't know how to
> build the manual. :-(

Uh-Oh. sgml2txt I ain't got. And given the first four letters, I'd
be guessing that building the chain of twisty little prerequisites
required to make it work would probably be more work than the entire
Linux distro I'm running on:-). I think I'll just live without the
documentation until this patch makes it into the main distro and
they start shipping manual.txt that includes it.

> > A peek in the db is making me suspect there might not be anything
> > cleaning out stale entries when messages get into the cache, then
> > get moved elsewhere or deleted. Am I reading that right?
>
> It wipes everything which is deleted in mutt from the cache.

I've got a lot of message flow from maildir to maildir scripted
outside of mutt.

> > If so, no big deal, the cleaner is trivial to write, and running it
> > very occasionally, when I know mutt's down, will be no problem.
>
> You can just call a 'rm script' from cron every week, month
> whatever. You can run that script also when mutt is running, even
> if the hcache is currently in use, because of the use count.

I'm not completely clear on what this 'rm script' would be. Some
sort of mutt macro? Or are you saying that gdbm is Ok with multiple
concurrent writers --- mutt and an external db cleaner?

-Bennett