Re: burst digests?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 11:21:17AM EST, Stephen wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 03:24:29AM -0500 or thereabouts, David Yitzchak Cohen
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:47:03PM EST, Stephen wrote:

> > IIRC, Claris Emailer didn't do threading, so it could care less about
> > getting the IRT or references headers right.  You can do the same in
> > Mutt with a small filter, like metamutt, but set up to read Yahoo!'s
> > digest format instead of the digest format used in Mutt lists (ezmlm?).
> >

> Actually, I *think* it did. There were several versions of Emailer, (I'm
> referring to the commercial client, not the free lite version).
> Maybe not true threading, tho. It's been 5 years, anyway, since I last used
> Emailer.

I don't even remember the last time I used it, but it must've been ages ago.

> It was considered one of the better of all the GUI clients, I don't
> recall it having any issues with reference headers.

Maybe it did "threading" based solely on the subject and/or quoted text?

> > > Thing is, I couldn't get this to work. Anyone have suggestions, and
> > > should it in fact work?
> >
> > As I said, I don't know if metamutt was designed to work with
> > Yahoo! Groups. . .
>
> OK, but I can't get it run,

What happens when you try running it?

> so don't know if it's bursts Yahoo mail
> properly.

...then for all we know, it may already handle Yahoo! Groups digests
right out of the box. . .

> Yahoo seems to use two double lines to show the end/start of a
> new message, in their digests.

...in which case the above wouldn't matter much for our purposes :-)

(I don't use any digests anyway, so I only see digests when people here
reply to a digest post and leave the whole freakin' digest dangling
below a "Mutt users wrote:" ... yes, Mutt users wrote all (well, that's
not always true - we sometimes get people PINEing or Outlooking here,
asking silly questions that they wouldn't have if they just RTFMed a
tiny bit - at least Mutt's introduction, dude!) of the below, you dummy!
Why do you think the list's called "Mutt Users' List?")

> > > I understand that Emacs will do this quite handily. ;)
> >
> > Yeah, emacs will do everything but your dishes, since after all it
> > contains everything but the kitchen sink.  However, a minor problem is
> > that emacs is also a really good /dev/null(4) emulator (implemented in
> > pure EMACS LISP, of course - a language that knows the value of everything
> > but the cost of nothing) for system resources, so your CPU can quickly
> > sink into obsolescence.  Seriously, though, did somebody bother to get
> > emacs parsing Yahoo! Groups digests correctly?
>
> Yeah, I've heard the 'Kitchen Sink' argument invoked often in Emacs/Vi
> discussions. ;)

You know the world's already gone way crazy when the most popular
VI clone looks and feels more like emacs than like VI.  (Well, yes,
it's Vi IMproved - of course!  That'd expain it.  Now, can I please
have my unimproved BSD-clone (as I found out recently on this selfsame
list, VI was invented by BSD, not AT&T) VI back ... PLEASE?  With my
latest hosting providor, I found an annoying "no" to be RedHat's answer
(Bad RedHat!  Can't you gimme some Slack, dude?).  Fortunately, though,
my editor of choice doesn't take up too much of my quota.)

<message type="subliminal">Elvis rocks!</message>

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel