Re: burst digests?

On Sun, Jan 25, 2004 at 03:24:29AM -0500 or thereabouts, David Yitzchak Cohen
wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 02:47:03PM EST, Stephen wrote:

[...]

> IIRC, Claris Emailer didn't do threading, so it could care less about
> getting the IRT or references headers right.  You can do the same in
> Mutt with a small filter, like metamutt, but set up to read Yahoo!'s
> digest format instead of the digest format used in Mutt lists (ezmlm?).

Actually, I *think* it did. There were several versions of Emailer, (I'm
referring to the commercial client, not the free lite version).
Maybe not true threading, tho. It's been 5 years, anyway, since I last used
Emailer.

It was considered one of the better of all the GUI clients, I don't
recall it having any issues with reference headers.

[snip]

> > Thing is, I couldn't get this to work. Anyone have suggestions, and
> > should it in fact work?
>
> As I said, I don't know if metamutt was designed to work with
> Yahoo! Groups. . .

OK, but I can't get it run, so don't know if it's bursts Yahoo mail
properly. Yahoo seems to use two double lines to show the end/start of a
new message, in their digests.

> > I understand that Emacs will do this quite handily. ;)
>
> Yeah, emacs will do everything but your dishes, since after all it
> contains everything but the kitchen sink.  However, a minor problem is
> that emacs is also a really good /dev/null(4) emulator (implemented in
> pure EMACS LISP, of course - a language that knows the value of everything
> but the cost of nothing) for system resources, so your CPU can quickly
> sink into obsolescence.  Seriously, though, did somebody bother to get
> emacs parsing Yahoo! Groups digests correctly?

Yeah, I've heard the 'Kitchen Sink' argument invoked often in Emacs/Vi
discussions. ;)

--
Stephen
"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the