Re: Pager view and PGP

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:55:42AM +0100, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 04:54:17PM -0500, Todd wrote:

> > Yep, same thing.  The message that displays an s has the proper
> > PGP/MIME content-type of multipart/signed.  The message that does not
> > show an s has a content-type of multipart/mixed.
>
> Ah, now I see. This means that mutt cannot regonize by the headers that
> this message is signed, but has to look at the body to find the
> content-type, isn't it?
>
> So, it might be arguable if not showing the "s" in the pager is a bug or
> not, as the message is not in the proper format. On the other hand,
> after having checked that the signature is correct, mutt has to show a
> big "S", doesn't it? So, IMHO, at least this is a bug. It know from
> memory that it already occurred with 1.3.28i on Debian/Woody. In fact,
> it was one of the annoyances of 1.3.28i I encountered and why I
> upgraded. ;-)

I haven't looked at your online mbox, but what I can say is that if you
try to verify a message that was mangled by an MTA in transit (which
tends to happen when automated processes muck with the MIME structure
of a message - \n being converted to \r\n, for example, or "From" at
the beginning of a line being turned into ">From"), GPG will fail to
verify it.

Another thing I've noticed is that GPG's exit code is totally useless
in trying to figure out whether or not verification succeeded.  I use
pgp_good_sign="correct" (dunno what it is for English off-hand), and
that's the only reliable method I've found.

HTH,
 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel