Re: Maildir question

Sergei, et al --

In light of Charles' contribution as a much more regular reader of the
qmail list, there remains but a little for this reply.

...and then Sergei Kolobov said...
%
% On 2003-11-26 at 00:03 -0500, David T-G wrote:
% > I don't see that; I see a list of exactly what is allowed in the Maildir,
% > and anything not listed is not allowed.
%
% It depends on your viewpoint. I would say, anything not explicitly
% prohibited is allowed. The spec does not specifically prohibit nested
% Maildirs.

Yes it does.  Neener neener :-)

%
% This is exactly what Mr. Sam did with his Maildir++, by the way.
% Personally, I do not agree with the design decisions Maildir++ based on.

I have heard of Maildir++ but haven't played with it and don't know much
about it.  It seems to me, though, that such a thing -- a new spec based
on an existing one which is itself then free to do whatever -- is the
Right Way To Go.

%
% > % Neither Mutt, nor OfflineIMAP (which I use to synchronize my laptop with
% > % the server) do not have any problems with this setup.
% >
% > That doesn't make it right :-)
%
% ... and doesn't make it wrong either. ;-P

Absent evidence to the contrary as presented by Charles, your point is
taken.  *I* think it's wrong but it can certainly be argued (or it could
before we had some helpful input).

%
% > can't create a Maildir within a Maildir" since the latter is more general
% > and more uniform.
%
% Such error message would be fine with me, and some (if not most of)
% other users. I do not see why we would deny users ability to have nested

Oh, the error message would be fine with me, too, but it's a special case
and since it's one that comes from bending the rules I [would] much
prefer the more general error message based on the correct behavior.

% Maildirs just because it isn't "more general and more uniform".
% I don't buy that. ;)  Mutt is about flexibility, after all. ;)

I'll give you that quite happily, but Maildir is not, and that's the item
at hand!

%
% Sergei

HTH & HAND