Re: VFolders?

Howdy fellow mutters

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 06:26:44PM +0200, Danie Roux wrote:
> > I've just installed Evolution for the good calendaring support but
> > checked out the MUA too.  I've just used VFolders for the first time
> > and I was struck by the complex rules that can be written
> > (specifically the ability to have all ``new'' mail appear in a single
> > folder).
> What, you thought they thought of the feature all by themselves? :)

 hehe :)

> 'l' gives you "limit view to mails matching a pattern". And with mutt
> you can match almost everything. So use that with macros.

 Uhm, I don't think this is what Lewis meant. When I hear "VFolder", it
 expands to "Virtual Folder" in my mind, and does something a bit more
 complex. I don't know whether Evolution does this, because I never used
 it. Ok:

 Let's suppose, you get around 200 Mails a day, or even more. What I do
 with them is setting up procmail to neatly place them into different
 mboxes. Here's an example:

 Swiss LUG mails --> ~/Mail/lugs-at-lugs
 Mutt mails      --> ~/Mail/mutt
 Default mbox    --> ~/Mail/inbox

 This works fine, I can browse through the mailboxes without a problem.
 Mutt knows where there is new mail.

 Now, VFolders for me would be something like a view where you see all
 the new mails in all the mbox files. Now _this_ would be nice! Instead
 of typing 'c<CR>' every time, you have just one box which is called
 something like =vf~N with all the new mails in it. Once you've read one
 of the mails, it disappears from this VFolder (because it does not
 match the criteria anymore). But of course it's still in the mbox file
 where procmail placed it.

 Well, to be honest, I never really missed this feature, because I never
 thought about it. But, now as I know, I'd like to know whether this is
 possible in mutt.

 Lewis, is this what you mean?

 Cheers

 André

 PS: Btw, is there a way to implement plugins in mutt which could do
 something like that?

--
Real programmers do "cp /dev/audio a.out" and whistle into the mike.
                                                (Randal L. Schwartz)