Re: VFolders?

* Andre Bonhote <andre@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

>  Let's suppose, you get around 200 Mails a day, or even more. What I do
>  with them is setting up procmail to neatly place them into different
>  mboxes. Here's an example:
>
>  Swiss LUG mails --> ~/Mail/lugs-at-lugs
>  Mutt mails      --> ~/Mail/mutt
>  Default mbox    --> ~/Mail/inbox
>
>  This works fine, I can browse through the mailboxes without a problem.
>  Mutt knows where there is new mail.
>
>  Now, VFolders for me would be something like a view where you see all
>  the new mails in all the mbox files.

You can use procmail to do something like that. It only works with
maildir style mailboxes.

You can do:

        Swiss LUG mails -->
                ~/Mail/lugs-at-lugs/ ~/Mail/unread-lugs/ ~/Mail/`date +%Y%m`/

Procmail makes (hard?) links for each mail. You have to create a hook,
so that read mails in the "unread" folder will be deleted. It's not
exactly Evolutions vFolder feature...

I remember the good old times on Amiga with the Universal Message System
(UMS) and very good Mail/Newsreaders like PINT. It used a database to
store messages and had very good query feature where the results where
nearly the same as a vFolder. There where some attempts to restart the
project.

--
* mail kai.weber@xxxxxxxxxxx
  web http://www.glorybox.de