Re: Why does mutt sees Mailman mailboxes as empty?

On 09May2009 19:08, M. Fioretti <mfioretti@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| On Sat, May 09, 2009 09:47:06 AM -0700, George Davidovich wrote:
| > On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 04:49:50PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
| >
| > > From mfioretti at nexaima.net  Sun May 25 07:56:41 2008
| > > From: mfioretti at nexaima.net (M. Fioretti)
| >
| > Note that 'From ' and 'From:' are distinct; the space in the former is
| > not a typo.
|
| Yes, I know. I also agree with your other advice, thanks. In this
| particular case what I'd need to do is simply to open each mailbox
| file and save it in maildir format. I don't need to reply, etc...

I routinely download mailman archives when I join such a mailing list
so I can search them locally in the future (mairix etc). They do indeed
need munging before use. I wrote this script:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/get-mailman-archive

which fetches all the archives, concatenates them and then filters the
almost-mbox result through these two scripts:

  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/fix-mail-dates
  http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/un-at-

and the result is a clean mbox file. I then move them into maildirs with
mutt's copy-message facility. However, the above scripts will let you
convert mailman archives into useable mbox files.

| My real interest was testing automated mbox-maildir automatic
| conversion via mutt on some sample email that I needed to analyze
| anyway, this issue was really unexpected.

Enjoy,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Out on the road, feeling the breeze, passing the cars.  - Bob Seger