Re: Why does mutt sees Mailman mailboxes as empty?

On Sat, May 09, 2009 09:47:06 AM -0700, George Davidovich wrote:
> On Sat, May 09, 2009 at 04:49:50PM +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:
>
> > From mfioretti at nexaima.net  Sun May 25 07:56:41 2008
> > From: mfioretti at nexaima.net (M. Fioretti)
>
> Note that 'From ' and 'From:' are distinct; the space in the former is
> not a typo.

Yes, I know. I also agree with your other advice, thanks. In this
particular case what I'd need to do is simply to open each mailbox
file and save it in maildir format. I don't need to reply, etc...

I only need to put each message in a separate file, because I would
like to figure out how many list subscribers use each mail client, who
are the most active posters each month, how many use HTML email and
other similar statistics, and it would be easier to script all this if
each message were in a separate file.

Why doing the mbox->mdir conversion with mutt? Because I've found
online several ways on how to do it with mutt from a shell script, and
I wanted to test them on a pet project before running them on my own
archive, which is much bigger and more valuable for me than a public
mailing list.

BUt of course, to make those mutt tricks work, the initial mbox file
must be such that that mutt can recognize and parse it... at least
well enough to find message boundaries without errors. Hence my
initial question.

My real interest was testing automated mbox-maildir automatic
conversion via mutt on some sample email that I needed to analyze
anyway, this issue was really unexpected.

Thanks,
        Marco
software is used *around* you:            http://digifreedom.net/node/84