Re: Detecting new mail in mbox format

On 2009-04-26, Rocco Rutte <pdmef@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> "It" being hitting the '.' key to check for new mail in the
>> current folder?
>
> The buffy-list function ('.'), tells you which folders have
> new mail.

That's not what was said earlier in the thread.  I said I
wanted to check the current folder for new mail, and was I told
to use buffy-list.  I pointed out that both the documentation
and my experiments indicated that buffy-list did nothing of the
sort.  Another poster claimed that it works for him.  I didn't
(and don't) believe him.

> It doesn't poll anything for new mail.

I agree.  That's what my experimentation has shown.  However,
that's not what was stated earlier in the thread.  We were told
that to check for new in the current folder mail, use the
buffy-list function.

There are two problems with that prescription:

 1) buffy-list doesn't check for new mail.

 2) when buffy-list does do something, it's got nothing to do
    with the current folder.

> After $mail_check or $timeout seconds (whichever is lower)
> mutt will tell you when the current folder has new mail.
>
> But since you use mbox, maybe that is the problem.

I don't use mbox.  I use IMAP and maildir.

> Does your mutt already have the check_mbox_size option? If
> yes, you could give that a try since it goes by mailbox size
> and not by access vs. modification time. (But of course it
> doesn't work when you make size-neutral changes)

I've never said mutt had any problems detecting new mail when
it checks.  The problem is it doesn't check when you hit "$" or
"." or anything else.  It sort of annoying to have to "change
folder" to the current folder so that you can read a message
that's been sitting being ignored by mutt.

--
Grant