Re: Detecting new mail in mbox format

On 23Apr2009 18:13, Kyle Wheeler <kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Of course, personally, I think recording access time (thereby turning
| every disk access into a disk write) is a waste of my computer's time,
| so I usually mount my filesystems with the "noatime" option.

Yes. On more modern UNIX systems the "relatime" mount option is an ok
compromise; it does update the atime, but less often (it even mentions
mutt by name!) From "man 8 mount":

        Update  inode  access  times relative to modify or change time.
        Access time is only updated if the previous access time  was
        earlier than the current modify or change time.  (Similar to
        noatime, but  doesn't  break  mutt  or other applications  that
        need  to know if a file has been read since the last time it
        was modified.)

And I'm fairly sure some filesystems like XFS have been doing that
behind the scenes anyway.

| But then,
| I also use Maildir instead of mbox, because it avoids lots of this
| kind of silliness (it's also a more well-defined mailbox format).

I find mutt doesn't notice new email in maildirs when I press '$'. Is
there a common misconfiguration I might have?
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The simple pleasures a man has to give up, just because he's President.
        - Lyndon B. Johnson, upon his prohibition by the Secret Service from
          urinating off the back porch of his Pedernales ranch house, 1965.