Re: Running mutt on Mac OS X

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:41:00 -0800, "John Velman" <velman@xxxxxxx> said:
> I'm a long time Linux user (RedHad, Slackware), and last year when the
> new
> iMac with OSX 10.5 came out, I couldn't resist -- but with a lot of
> trepidation.
>
> My worries were completely unfounded.  True, some things work differently
> than what you may be used to.  You'll have to find those yourself.  The
> following goes beyond your question, but maybe you'll find it useful.
>
> In my case, after doing a lot of googling, I immediately installed both
> Fink and MacPorts in order to "get some things I was used to".  Turned
> out
> to be unnecessary (at least for me), and eventually, I got rid of them
> both, completely. The console things I wanted that weren't included, I
> compiled using the built in tools with no problem.  The GUI things I
> wanted, I was able to find Mac versions of.  Except Ghostscript.  Haven't
> found a postscript reader (free) for OS X.  But I just got used to the
> builtin ps to pdf converter.  I had trouble finding a decent (free)
> newsreader, but finally settled on OSXnews 2.081.  It has some issues,
> but
> generally works pretty well (http://OSXnews.sf.net).  I would advise
> holding off on Fink and MacPorts unless you find they are absolutely
> necessary.
>
> Another thing -- I thought I'd be using the built-in X-windows a lot.
> Eventually decided it was a pain in the neck (although it works pretty
> well, except for not using some of the native mac capabilities and look
> --
> and cluttering up the toolbar).  The things I really wanted a gui for
> were
> available in a mac-cocoa or carbon version.
>
> Things to get:  First thing: get MacVim.  Uses the core vim but with a
> Mac
> cocoa gui wrapper.  It's great.  http://code.google.com/p/macvim/.  I'm
> using MacVim to write this email as the editor used by Mutt.  I compiled
> mutt from source with no problem.
>
> Another thing you might want to look into:  NeoOffice as the OpenOffice
> version for OS X,  (I don't have the url handy, but it's easy to find).
> There are a lot of choices for a web browser (and for text only browsers
> use with mutt.)  I used Firefox for quite a while, and while I like it's
> plugins, it started starting an X which it seemed to not be using, and I
> had to terminate by hand.  Strange.  I submitted a bug report, but got no
> response.  I finally switched over to Camino (http://caminobrowser.org/).
>
> And the final thing I'll mention: The XCode IDE, the Cocoa platform for
> programming Mac applications, and Objective-C, the language used by
> Cocoa.
> But that's another story.
>
> Best,
>
> John Velman

Thanks John.  That was some great info.  I have a lot of the same
questions around things you've already been through.

I'll give MacVim a try.  Plus it looks like there's a way to access the
Mac addressbook so that I don't need to use abook anymore.

Much appreciated info.

--
  Trey Sizemore
  trey@xxxxxxxxxxx