Re: Running mutt on Mac OS X

On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 11:40:15 -0600, "Kyle Wheeler"
<kyle-mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:

> On Friday, January  2 at 12:13 PM, quoth Trey Sizemore:
> > I'm contemplating getting a MacBook Pro laptop.  As a long-time Linux
> > user, I'm concerned about getting mutt running the way that I've got it
> > setup on my Linux machines.
>
> For what it's worth, I share my muttrc (and related files) between all
> of my machines, which includes both Linux and Mac boxes, without any
> trouble.
>
> > For those running mutt on Mac OS X, how easy/hard was it to get your
> > .muttrc 'adapted' to run?
>
> I didn't have to do anything to the muttrc. The only thing that needed
> some extra entries was, obviously, the ~/.mailcap file and the
> ~/.urlview file. I say obviously because the commands needed to open
> various file types are different on OS X. For example, to open a URL
> in your web browser, you can just use the `open` command. But that's
> got nothing to do with your muttrc.
>
> Here's how I've set my mailcap up - there are simpler ways of doing
> it, but I add all the test segments so that the correct command is
> chosen by mutt.
>
> # this uses xv only if there's an X server, and only if I have xv
> image/*; xv %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" && type xv &>/dev/null
> # this uses open only on OSX and only if I'm not using ssh
> image/*; open %s; copiousoutput; test=test "`uname -s`" = "Darwin" -a -z
> "$SSH_CLIENT"
>
> Though I recently discovered there's a cooler way to view images on
> OSX:
>
> image/*; qlmanage -p %s 2>/dev/null; test type qlmanage -a -z
> "$SSH_CLIENT"
>
> > Does urlview work as expected,
>
> Yes, generally (you have to configure it), but I prefer
> extract_url.pl, because it's better at handling unusual and more
> modern email encodings that allow URLs to be broken into multiple
> lines.
>
> > are you using vim for the editor and did you get your vim
> > configurations ported over ok?
>
> ...ported? I use the same vimrc for all of my machines as well.
>
> Seriously, I think you're building this up in your mind as some kind
> of gargantuan task, and it's really quite simple. As long as you don't
> rely on /usr/bin/sendmail (which is usually asking for trouble
> *anyway*), and as long as you know the right commands for all your
> viewers (on OSX, the right command is almost always `open`), you'll be
> just fine. The only way you could possibly have much trouble is if you
> have a lot of extremely machine-specific stuff in your muttrc.
>
> ~Kyle

Thanks Kyle.  Hopefully it *is* just a case of building this up to be
more than it is. ;-)

I remember having to do a lot of 'tweaking' a while back when I was
trying to get things setup on a FreeBSD install, so I assumed (perhaps
wrongly) that the situation might be similar with OS X.

By chance, are you using the default Mac terminal program, iTerm, or
something else entirely for the terminal?

Thanks!
--
  Trey Sizemore
  trey@xxxxxxxxxxx