Re: Running mutt on Mac OS X

On Friday, January  2 at 12:13 PM, quoth Trey Sizemore:
> I'm contemplating getting a MacBook Pro laptop.  As a long-time Linux
> user, I'm concerned about getting mutt running the way that I've got it
> setup on my Linux machines.

For what it's worth, I share my muttrc (and related files) between all
of my machines, which includes both Linux and Mac boxes, without any
trouble.

> For those running mutt on Mac OS X, how easy/hard was it to get your
> .muttrc 'adapted' to run?

I didn't have to do anything to the muttrc. The only thing that needed
some extra entries was, obviously, the ~/.mailcap file and the
~/.urlview file. I say obviously because the commands needed to open
various file types are different on OS X. For example, to open a URL
in your web browser, you can just use the `open` command. But that's
got nothing to do with your muttrc.

Here's how I've set my mailcap up - there are simpler ways of doing
it, but I add all the test segments so that the correct command is
chosen by mutt.

# this uses xv only if there's an X server, and only if I have xv
image/*; xv %s; test=test -n "$DISPLAY" && type xv &>/dev/null
# this uses open only on OSX and only if I'm not using ssh
image/*; open %s; copiousoutput; test=test "`uname -s`" = "Darwin" -a -z
"$SSH_CLIENT"

Though I recently discovered there's a cooler way to view images on
OSX:

image/*; qlmanage -p %s 2>/dev/null; test type qlmanage -a -z "$SSH_CLIENT"

> Does urlview work as expected,

Yes, generally (you have to configure it), but I prefer
extract_url.pl, because it's better at handling unusual and more
modern email encodings that allow URLs to be broken into multiple
lines.

> are you using vim for the editor and did you get your vim
> configurations ported over ok?

...ported? I use the same vimrc for all of my machines as well.

Seriously, I think you're building this up in your mind as some kind
of gargantuan task, and it's really quite simple. As long as you don't
rely on /usr/bin/sendmail (which is usually asking for trouble
*anyway*), and as long as you know the right commands for all your
viewers (on OSX, the right command is almost always `open`), you'll be
just fine. The only way you could possibly have much trouble is if you
have a lot of extremely machine-specific stuff in your muttrc.

~Kyle
- --
If man was meant to be nude, he would have been born that way.
                                                         -- Oscar Wilde