Re: Charset issue? [SOLVED]

On Fri, 11 May 2007 or thereabouts, Kyle Wheeler came forth with:

> >roland@jr02:~$ locale
> >locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
> >locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
> >directory
> >locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

> Hmmm, that's bad. Let's see what it's complaining about:

> >LANGUAGE=en_NZ:en
> >LC_CTYPE="en_NZ"
> >LC_MESSAGES="en_NZ"
> >LC_ALL=

> Well, LANGUAGE looks odd, and LC_ALL shouldn't be set at all unless
> you really need it (which, chances are, you don't); LANG and LANGUAGE
> are sufficient.

Okay, I did some reading and did:

dpkg-reconfigure locales, then
update-locale LANG=en_NZ.ISO-8859-1, then
restarted the box (it seemed to need it.

I now get:

roland@jr02:~$ locale
LANG=en_NZ.ISO-8859-1
LANGUAGE=en_NZ:en
LC_CTYPE="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_NUMERIC="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_TIME="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_COLLATE="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_MONETARY="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_MESSAGES="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_PAPER="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_NAME="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_ADDRESS="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_NZ.ISO-8859-1"
LC_ALL=

..............and,

roland@jr02:~$ locale charmap
ISO-8859-1

..............and,

roland@jr02:~$ locale -a | grep ^en_
en_AU
en_AU.utf8
en_BW
en_BW.utf8
en_CA
en_CA.utf8
en_DK
en_DK.utf8
en_GB
en_GB.iso885915
en_GB.utf8
en_HK
en_HK.utf8
en_IE
en_IE@euro
en_IE.utf8
en_IN
en_NZ
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH
en_PH.utf8
en_SG
en_SG.utf8
en_US
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8
en_ZA
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZW
en_ZW.utf8

> If you refer to the output of `locale -a`, you do not have "en_NZ" as
> an option, nor do you have "en_NZ:en". Those should be changed to
> "en_NZ.utf8". And, if you're going to use UTF8, you should make sure
> you are using terminals capable of displaying UTF8 (I don't know that
> Eterm can, and gnome-terminal probably has to be configured properly
> to do so). From the pictures you posted, it looks like neither of them
> can display UTF8 characters. Try, just for grins using `uxterm`.

I still think things arn't perfect, but I can now view the 'problem' mails
correctly.

Thanks to Alain, Kyle and others for helping.

--
Regards,

Roland

PGP Key 0xDA39319B = BCF0 1214 BAE9 5A3D 46FC 21A6 360D 9398 DA39 319B