Re: Charset issue?

On Saturday, May 12 at 02:37 PM, quoth Roland Hill:
>> What system do you run?
>Kubuntu, 7.04, Feisty Fawn.
>
>> Which libc version?
>libc6, 2.5-0ubuntu14

So far, nothing too unusual...

>> What terminal?
>roland@jr02:~$ echo $TERM
>xterm

Heh, not quite the answer he was looking for. That's what terminal
emulation mode your applications are using; he asked for what terminal
you're ACTUALLY using. For example, if you use a modern xterm, often
the most accurate $TERM description of it is xterm-256color (not
xterm).

 From the pictures you posted, it looks like you're using Eterm and
gnome-terminal. Are you using any others?

>> | $ locale
>roland@jr02:~$ locale
>locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
>locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
>directory
>locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory

Hmmm, that's bad. Let's see what it's complaining about:

>LANGUAGE=en_NZ:en
>LC_CTYPE="en_NZ"
>LC_MESSAGES="en_NZ"
>LC_ALL=

Well, LANGUAGE looks odd, and LC_ALL shouldn't be set at all unless
you really need it (which, chances are, you don't); LANG and LANGUAGE
are sufficient.

If you refer to the output of `locale -a`, you do not have "en_NZ" as
an option, nor do you have "en_NZ:en". Those should be changed to
"en_NZ.utf8". And, if you're going to use UTF8, you should make sure
you are using terminals capable of displaying UTF8 (I don't know that
Eterm can, and gnome-terminal probably has to be configured properly
to do so). From the pictures you posted, it looks like neither of them
can display UTF8 characters. Try, just for grins using `uxterm`.

>> | $ locale charmap
>roland@jr02:~$ locale charmap
>locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
>locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or
>directory
>locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
>ANSI_X3.4-1968

HUH! Don't see ANSI_X3.4-1968 very often... no idea if that's a
problem or not.

~Kyle
- --
Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else.
                                                               -- Knuth