Re: Charset issue?

On Thursday, May  3 at 09:04 AM, quoth Roland Hill:
>> On Thursday, May  3 at 08:10 AM, quoth Roland Hill:
>>> I thought I had found a solution in the archives and added TRANSLIT
>>> as
>>> follows:
>
>>> set charset="iso-8859-1//TRANSLIT"
>
>>> .....but this hasn't fixed the problem.
>
>>> Can anyone offer a solution or point me somewhere where I can work it out?
>
>> What is the charset of the email you're looking at? It may be
>> mislabelled (which you may be able to use charset_hook to fix).
>
> utf-8

Hmm, then it's *definitely* mislabelled. REAL utf-8 encodes the single
curly quote as THREE bytes: 0xE2 0x80 0x99 (or, in mutt's octal
format: \342 \200 \231). What you got there (\204, or, in hex, 0xB4)
maps to the grave character (´) in Latin1 (aka ISO-8859-1), which
looks kinda-sorta like a curly-quote in the appropriate direction
(though it's really a rather inappropriate character to use there).
The other character you mentioned, \250 (or 0xA8) maps to the umlaut
dots (¨) in Latin1, which looks ever-so-slightly like double-quote
marks (but again, totally inappropriate).

I'm not sure what other characters those might actually be referring
to, but given the visual similarity to the characters they *should* be
referring to, I think that's probably pretty close to what's
happening.

The next question is: what can you do about it? Fixing them, and
replacing them with the correct characters may not be possible, but
getting them to display *at all* can be done, I think. A charset hook
could help... but you don't want to break ALL utf-8 mails. Perhaps
something like this (haven't tested it, and it would break other
charset-hooks you may be using):

     message-hook . "unhook charset-hook"
     message-hook "~f thatguy" "charset-hook utf-8 iso-8859-1"

Alain may have a better solution, though.

~Kyle
- --
These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the
sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of
their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks
of man and woman.
                                                         -- Thomas Paine