Re: multiple attachments from command line

 On Friday, June 10, 2005 at 3:03:51 PM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:

> my locale is ro_RO.ISO-8859-16.

    Bad: ISO-8859-2 and -16 are not compatible. Mutt's $charset and
locale's charset must match. And both must match terminal's charset.

    Check at shell in that terminal:

| $ printf "\xbe\n"     # Thank you Bob!
| ¾                     # I see 3/4 on a Latin-1 terminal

 · If you see small z caron: Your terminal has Latin-2 charset. Change
your locale, exporting perhaps LANG=ro_RO.ISO-8859-2, and check "locale
charmap" outputs ISO-8859-2.

 · If you see capital Y umlaut: Your terminal has Latin-10 charset. Keep
your locale, but check "locale charmap" gives ISO-8859-16.

    In any case, remove $charset declaration from muttrc.

>> $assumed_charset=windows-1252 may be good.
> windows-1252 is the windows equivalent of latin1. I should use then
> windows-1250, the equivalent of latin2.

    I'm not sure CP-1250 would be optimal for you. Look: 1252 is a
perfect superset of L1. Therefore setting $assumed=1252 covers 1252
*and* L1 mails, without ambiguities. That's fine for Westerners: It
covers more than 98% needs, with just some lacking UTF-8 percent, the
occasional Latin-2 mail, and the rare /other/ ones badly displayed. I
don't count Korean nor Russian spam of course, only legitimate mail.

    But 1250 is not exactly a superset of L2, some tens of characters
are coded differently. If you assume 1250, some unlabelled L2 mails will
appear munged. And the reverse. Percentage of your needs covered by one
such setting may well be 30% or 50% only.

    So finding the best default $assumed_charset for you is a matter of
stats: How many unlabelled or non-MIME mails you get containing each
charset. You may well find that it's CP-1252, like Westerners! Or, if a
single good enough compromise is unreachable, that you need folder-hooks
to change $assumed_charset. Say L2 default, 1250 for some Romanian
Windowers mailing list, 1252 for international lists, MacRomania for
that old archive mbox imported from a MacIntosh Plus, and CP-852 for
this gatewayed Fidonet conference.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Everything about locales on Sven Mascheck's excellent site at new
location <URL:http://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/locale/>. The little tester