Re: multiple attachments from command line

Hello Ionel,

 On Tuesday, June 7, 2005 at 3:35:10 PM +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobica wrote:

> How can I convince mutt to proper identify the content-type when using
> it in command line something like that:
>| echo diacritics | mutt -a iso8859.txt -a utf8.txt -s diacritics foo@bar

    By default Mutt assumes the text files you attach are originally in
the same charset as your terminal. Upon sending, Mutt will convert those
files from $charset to one of $send_charset. This fails badly for any
different file, like utf8.txt.

    There are 2 solutions:

 1) Interactively change attachment charset to UTF-8 in compose menu
before sending, using <edit-type> and replying *no* to the "Convert?"
question.

 2) Activate charset auto-sensing with:

| set file_charset="utf-8:iso-8859-2"

    But note this "auto-sensing" is really educated guessing, and can
fail. Keep an eye on compose menu, which displays for each attachment
the charset choosen for sending (after $charset or $file_charset to
$send_charset conversion).

    Previously I suggested prepending "ucs-2:" to $file_charset. This is
wrong, and can very easely lead to false guess. US-Ascii English text
may well be seen as random exotic Unicode characters, probably because
libiconv 1.9.2 does *not* require a BOM as first char. Unfortunately
this does not work in Mutt as in vim "ucs-bom,utf-8,latin2"
fileencodings.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Mutt muttrc tip to send mails in best adapted first necessary and sufficient
charset (version for East Europe Latin-2/CP-852/CP-1250 terminal users):