Re: setting default encodings

* Toby <tobia.conforto@xxxxxxxx> [2005-04-12 01:23]:

> If I get an email in UTF-8 and forward or reply to it, my editor shows
> the correct international characters (does yours?)  Then, when I exit
> the editor, mutt recognizes those characters and recodes the message in
> the minimum charset which can contain all the characters used.
> (eg. ASCII ⊆ Latin1 ⊆ Unicode  ⇒  this mail will be sent in UTF-8 :)
>
> The fact that you need to manually set the encoding when replying or
> forwarding some mail is a symptom of a deeper problem with your
> terminal, editor or locale settings.
>

> Toby

I have (I think) the same problem. I'm on a fresh installed suse 9.2
where mutt, vim and terminal comes with the distro (suse 9.2 is said
to be all utf-8) and yet I get garbled chars in mutt. Your funny
chars, for instance, shows up as rectangles in both mutt and vim.

Output from locale:
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

and in mutt (not set in .muttrc):
charset="utf-8"
send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"

--
Sören Edzen, Sweden