Re: setting default encodings

Paul Tremblay wrote:
> Michael Tatge wrote:
> >
> > $charset, $send_charset
>
> I'm confused as to what to do.

Michael's line reads:
"I think you're looking for the 'charset' and 'send_charset' variables;
look them up in the manual and experiment with various settings."

> If I get an email in UTF-8, I need to send it in UTF-8. If I
> accidently send it out as ASCII, then it becomes garbled.

If I get an email in UTF-8 and forward or reply to it, my editor shows
the correct international characters (does yours?)  Then, when I exit
the editor, mutt recognizes those characters and recodes the message in
the minimum charset which can contain all the characters used.
(eg. ASCII ⊆ Latin1 ⊆ Unicode  ⇒  this mail will be sent in UTF-8 :)

The fact that you need to manually set the encoding when replying or
forwarding some mail is a symptom of a deeper problem with your
terminal, editor or locale settings.

Toby

--
«A computer is a state machine. Threads are for people
who can't program state machines.»              —Alan Cox