Re: Mutt strating up.

* Erik Jakobsen <eja@xxxxxxxxxxx> [12-04-2005 09:07]:

> Just by typing mutt on a prompt ?.

> >>No need to 'touch' a mailbox first - let the MTA take care of this.
> >>
> And postfix will do that, as I type mutt at the prompt ?.

Mutt and Postfix don't depend on eachother.  Postfix should be
configured to put received mail for "erikja" in /var/mail/erikja.
Mutt should be (and is, so it seems) configured to read mail from this
same location.  If mutt spits an error like:

  /var/mail/erikja: No such file or directory (errno = 2)

This is because:

- no mail has been received for erikja
- Postfix delivered mail for erikja in an other location, possible
  through $mailbox_command
- (some less obvious explanations left out)

It could be that Postfix has a $mailbox_command configured, something
like:

  mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail

This means Postfix passes the message to procmail, which takes care of
the actual delivery in a mailbox.

> Sorry for asking again, but I also have puzzled with fetchmail, and got
> it up working.

What do you mean by "working"?  Where is the mail stored that was
retrieved through fetchmail?  Perhaps also filtered through procmail?

> Then I would get back to mutt, and typed mutt at the
> prompt, but this occured:
>
> /var/mail/erikja: No such file or directory (errno = 2)

See my story above, replace Postfix with fetchmail - the same might be
the case.

--
René Clerc                      - (rene@xxxxxxxx) - PGP: 0x9ACE0AC7

God is science's putty.