Re: setting default encodings

Sören Edzen wrote:
> (suse 9.2 is said to be all utf-8) and yet I get garbled chars in
> mutt. Your funny chars, for instance, shows up as rectangles in both
> mutt and vim.

If they show up as rectangles (ONE rectangle per character, without
eating spaces before or after them) then your international settings are
probably ok.  The problem lies in the font you are using in your
terminal, which lacks those characters.

Try to select the line with the funny characters and paste it into a
notepad-like thing, or into GVIM.  You should be able to see it all.

Here is a Unicode star for your tests: ★

As for the terminal font, I have been looking for a nice monospaced
truetype font supporting the full Unicode character set for quite some
time.  I have yet to find any.  Even commercial fonts like those
distributed with Windows lack many Unicode ranges.  I'm going to try and
"borrow" a few fonts from MacOS X sooner or later! ;-)

If you are using XTerm, try this: Ctrl-right click (and hold) and
deselect TrueType Fonts.  On a supposedly all-Unicode distribution it
should make XTerm revert to Unifont, a bitmap font by the GNU Project
covering the whole Unicode.

Toby

--
«A computer is a state machine. Threads are for people
who can't program state machines.»              —Alan Cox