Re: few questions

* On 2004.07.07, in <20040707181948.GC5384@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
*       "Charles Cazabon" <mutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy S. Rapoport <mutt-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > find . -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep something
> >
> > -print0 isn't a valid recognized option to find on my OS.
> >
> > Oh, you mean "it's not a big problem on some UNIX variants?"
>
> No, GNU findutils is easily installed on any Unix-like system I've ever seen.
> So, more accurately, it would be "it's not a big problem on any UNIX variant,
> unless you're too lazy to care".

That's a convenient assessment. It's not worth my time to rebut, but
I'll say that there's no dialectical or didactic value in attributing
disagreement to sloth.

Anyway:

someone> And lets face it, space in
someone> filename is a windows feature.

Spaces are valid characters for a document name, and increasingly
document names are a good way of naming files. There's no inherent
reason for any character to be excluded from file naming, although most
systems prohibit directory separators (/, \, :, etc.). To say that
spaces are a Windows artifact is a pretty narrow view of things, mostly
derived on a particular style of command line that is most prominent in
Unix. So, conversely, I'd say that denying spaces in filenames is a Unix
attitude.

(Note, too, that mutt has been ported to Windows and to MacOS and
presumably to other operating systems whose users are not bothered by
the use of spaces in filenames.)

But the main thing here is that it's really about your UI, not about
your OS or your filenames. It's perfectly reasonable for users of a
particular UI to prefer translating "difficult" characters to something
else.

Gary, I'd like to see your patch. I have an idea....

--
 -D.    dgc@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                  NSIT::ENSS
        No money,  no book.  No book,  no study.  No study, no pass.