Re: japanese text in email body [sort of solved]

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:36:19PM +0900, Henry Nelson wrote:
> > so spake Dave Driscoll [2004.06.08 @ 07:31]:
> > > Hello,
> > > I'm working for a Japanese owned company in the US and I'm trying to
> > > set up an email handiling/sorting system. My problem is that some of
> > > the emails contain Japanese (usually coded per iso-2022-jp). I can't
> > > get this stuff to show up properly in mutt. I'm running mutt 1.4 on
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:49:04PM -0700, Dave Driscoll wrote:
> > I now understand why Japanese has its own word for garbled text. The
> > Japanese
> > you sent above displays correctly in mutt.  However when I start a reply
> > using
> > emacs it shows the text incorrectly. Emacs does show the following snip from
>
> Dave, did you solve this problem, i.e., be able to edit (reply to) mails
> in emacs that show up correctly in mutt?  This is still my biggest hurdle
> with using mutt, and why I have to rely on nkf, iconv and demime to preprocess
> mail.
>
> Is there some way to get mutt to pass the mime-decoded message and inlines
> to your editor?  (Also, get mutt to save the messages in mime-decoded form?)
>
> --
> henry nelson
>  | day job: | http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/biorec/nehan/henken.html
Henry,

Mutt now shows Japanese in my emails correctly. I am not sure why because
afaik nothing has really changed my locale was en_US.utf-8 before and it still
is. Same term, & I think locale determines the terminal charset so I don't
know what happened.  If I save the email emacs
shows the saved message correctly. If I try to use emacs to edit a message
from within mutt the display is messed up.  I have tried changing the language
settings for emacs per Alian's suggestion but I haven't found the magic word
yet. So I have what I wanted: readable Japanese in mutt. Since I don't know
Japanese not being able to write and edit is minor and if I had to, I have a
workaround.  Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Dave