japanese text in email body

Hello,
I'm working for a Japanese owned company in the US and I'm trying to
set up an email handiling/sorting system. My problem is that some of
the emails contain Japanese (usually coded per iso-2022-jp). I can't
get this stuff to show up properly in mutt. I'm running mutt 1.4 on
Suse linux 8.1. I've tried all the set charset values I can think of
ditto LANG and LC_CYTPE and it changes the appearance of the text in
the message body but it's still wrong.  If I change the language for
my system to Japanese the messages appear correctly but now
everything-prompts, menu picks, etc. is Japanese. If I save the mail
and open it in emacs it looks right so I know it can be done.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Dave Driscoll