Re: japanese text in email body

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 06:39:14PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> | multipart/mixed; boundary="ZGiS0Q5IWpPtfppv"

I manually re-inserted this header.  It worked beautifully!  More
importantly, when I hit 'L' to follow up, all three of the "shoguns"
were displayed correctly in the editor (nvi), too:

cut-n-paste > shogun.iso-2022-jp.txt
cut-n-paste > 将軍
cut-n-paste > shogun.euc-jp.txt
cut-n-paste > 将軍
cut-n-paste > shogun.utf-8.txt
cut-n-paste > 将軍

This is the first time for me to ever understand the wonder of mime.
Now I know why you get on my case.

Sometimes, though, I actually like to see the "raw" mail.  Is there a toggle
of some kind to force mutt to mime unaware?  I suppose I could always use
^E to remove the boundary information.

>     Dave's mail was UTF-8. Your procmail rules wrongly interpreted it as
> being EUC-JP, and converted it, or overwrited the label. Or something

Presently the rules do both, convert and rewrite the charset label to euc-jp.

While originally it started as protection against locking up the terminal
session when I had to use mailx, I continue to do it because I don't know
how to get mutt to:
  1) convert and save all (Japanese) mails in euc-jp (so I can view and
     edit them with editors or other software which do not have automatic
     detection of the character set).
  2) save the "record" file in euc-jp.  (The only way I know now to _read_
     records of my Japanese mails is to read them with Lynx.  I don't know
     of any way to _edit_ them directly.)

Finally, with this letter I will attempt to attach files with the circled
digits (1), (2) and (3) in euc-jp, iso-2022-jp, shift-jis and utf-8.  You
were right that iconv could not make the conversions.  I used nkf.

--
henry nelson
 | day job: | http://yuba.kcn.ne.jp/biorec/nehan/henken.html
­¡­¢­£