Re: japanese text in email body

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 12:58:16PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> Hi Henry!

Hi Alain!

>     Some rare combinations of characters that can be typed at an EUC-JP
> terminal can't be converted to ISO-2022-JP. Like say a Kanji and a Latin
> e acute U+00E9 in the same mail. So in $send_charset Mutt can only
> select EUC-JP or UTF-8. Now I don't know which one gives less problems.

Maybe not so "rare".

How do you all do with the character "??"?  My use of this (a one inside
of a circle) caused a bit of havoc in a recent e-mail.

> > Sending e-mails in euc-jp will only give you countless "I couldn't
> > read your mail" replies.
>
>     Are you sure? Correctly labelled EUC-JP mail should be viewable in
> most modern mailers, as soon as terminal is capable. A quick check with

I've re-thought my comments, and again I think you are right (of course).
The key is "correctly labelled".  I'm going mostly on past experience;
and, for the longest time all I had was sendmail (mailx) which couldn't
label correctly.

There is however the problem of assuming your recipient will have a
"modern mailer".  While there are few these last 2-3 years, some of my
students use pretty old equipment and OSs (hand-me-downs from papa).
The larger problem these last two years has been that some of the
cell-phone e-mail services are broken.  (It gets better and better
each year, however.)

> When you post a new message, beginning a new topic, use the "mail" or
> "post" or "new message" functions.
> When you reply or followup, use the "reply" or "followup" functions.
> Do not do the one for the other, this breaks or hijacks threads.

I knew this.  Sorry if I messed up.  Intended to "followup" (L), since
I hoped the thread was mostly about the slow introduction of UTF-8 than
only about Japanese per se.

Okay, very, very embarassed but what's wrong with my muttrc that I don't
view these other than as "=1B$B>..." or "=BE=AD...", i.e., an equal sign
followed by random letters or symbols?

--
henry nelson