Re: Starting to run Mutt

Whoa, slow down, hold up.

Number ONE.  Unless list messages specifically request a personal
reply in addition to a list reply, *only* reply to the *list*.  I read the
list or would not have seen your post in the first place and I have
absolutely *no* need for an additional copy.

* Larry Alkoff <labradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-11-04 10:11]:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:51:54 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> >
> >The url you were presented for procmail is a quick-start 'qs' and will
> >lead you quickly thru a 'starter' ~/.procmailrc.  It will take 10
> >minutes and is as good as they come.
> >http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
>
> I'm working with the "robots" tutorial right now.
>
> So far I have test messages filtered sucessfully to ~/Mail/IN-testing.
>
> But all the other messages seem to be stuck in /var/spool/mail.

*What* messages.  Messages delivered prior to setting rules in procmail?

> I understand that messages that fall through my two filters (IN-testing and
> rc.subscriptions)
> should fall through to my default MAILBOX.
>     procmail -v gives:  Your system mailbox:  /var/spool/mail/lba
>     but in my ~/.procmailrc I have MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

You have [not|mis] read the quick-start tutorial.  There is a
difference between *spool* file and *maildir*

ex (my ~/.procmailrc):

  SPOOL=/var/spool/mail
  MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
  DEFAULT=$SPOOL/pat
  COMSAT=no

  #Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
  PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail

  LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log

  #Set on when debugging
  VERBOSE=off

  # Remove ## when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging
  LOGABSTRACT=all

  LOG="

  "

  INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists

> Do I need another filter for "default" mail to go to my specified inbox?

default mail is delivered to DEFAULT
default mail is that which is *not* directed otherwise by a procmail rule

> Is it correct to say that mail normally comes into /var/spool/mail/lba
> or whatever user and procmail then moves it to ~/Mail/whatever?

no, you have [not|mis] read the quick-start tutorial.  Procmail
delivers the mail based on your procmail rules.  It does not *move* it.

> How can I (and _should_ I) change /var/spool/mail/lba to something else?

reconsider this question

> I know and understand what you have said but it's HARD.

one step at a time.  If you try to address it all at once, you will be
lost.  Make a change/addition/deletion, then test, then again.  If you
do two things and it does not work, you will not know which was/is wrong.

> >You will enjoy mutt.
> I'm looking forward to getting it going.

The *first* step is *always* the hardest <grin>.

The main thing is to try, RTFM, try, RTFM, try, ask questions.  This is
a very helpful list and the mutt doc's are among, if not the best in
linuxdom.

gud luk,
HOG # US1244711           Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/photos