Re: Starting to run Mutt

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:51:54 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

>* Larry Alkoff <labradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-10-04 23:31]:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:20:07 -0600, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
>>
>> >Here is a great tutorial on procmail:
>> >http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
>> >Tutorials are good. Learn by doing.
>>
>> Bookmarked also.  Looks long and thorough.  Will read this weekend.
>
>see below
>
>> Procmail seems a little harder and I don't understand it well enough
>> (yet) to even start. That's why I just put in the LinuxBrit thing but
>> it's way overkill for me at this stage.
>>
>> Would you suggest a few lines for a skeleton procmailrc?
>
>The url you were presented for procmail is a quick-start 'qs' and will
>lead you quickly thru a 'starter' ~/.procmailrc.  It will take 10
>minutes and is as good as they come.
>http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

I'm working with the "robots" tutorial right now.

So far I have test messages filtered sucessfully to ~/Mail/IN-testing.

But all the other messages seem to be stuck in /var/spool/mail.

I understand that messages that fall through my two filters (IN-testing and
rc.subscriptions)
should fall through to my default MAILBOX.
    procmail -v gives:  Your system mailbox:  /var/spool/mail/lba
    but in my ~/.procmailrc I have MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail

Do I need another filter for "default" mail to go to my specified inbox?

Is it correct to say that mail normally comes into /var/spool/mail/lba or
whatever user
and procmail then moves it to ~/Mail/whatever?

How can I (and _should_ I) change /var/spool/mail/lba to something else?

>> It's a little hard since there are so many programs that have to work
>> together - Mutt, fetchmail, procmail, sendmail or postfix, lbdb -
>> sheesh.
>>
>> PMMail (started in OS/2 then to Windows) does everything the above
>> programs do in one nice package. I looked at a fair amount of Linux
>> mail programs but haven't found anything that I like as a Linux
>> equivalent.
>
>The linux way is/was a single program to accomplish a single task as
>best possible, vs one program does all and mostly just or maybe passable.
>
>mutt reads and composes mail (primarily, has more capabilities)
>fetchmail retrieves mail from pop/imap acc'ts
>procmail delivers to folders sorted mail via it's regexs
>sendmail/postfix is your mail daemon (I perfer postfix)
>
>lbdb is a database to maintain addresses (dressing, add later)

I know and understand what you have said but it's HARD.

>You will enjoy mutt.
I'm looking forward to getting it going.

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX