Re: Starting to run Mutt

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:15:24 -0400, Mark Frank wrote:

>* On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:26:52PM -0500 Larry Alkoff wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:20:07 -0600, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
>
>> There's the rub.  Sendmail doesn't do maildir and I really need that.
>
>That the second time you've said that.  True BUT sendmail also doesn't
>do mbox or MH format.  Sendmail is an MTA.  Dealing with delivery to
>mailboxes is the job of a MDA  - like procmail.

Thanks very much for that correction.
I'd still like to get away from sendmail but can run it for a while before I
get Postfix going.

>Some Linux distributions use procmail as the default MDA (like RedHat) -
>don't know about slackware.
>
>> My current mail is in maildir in Windows and I copied some old mail over
>> from the Windows machine
>> into ~/Mail/Inbox and could read it perfectly :-)
>>
>> I'm on about 45 mailing lists and probably have 150 separate subdirectories
>> in 3 mail accounts.
>>

>> >Here is a great tutorial on procmail:
>> >http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
>> >Tutorials are good. Learn by doing.
>>
>> Bookmarked also.  Looks long and thorough.  Will read this weekend.
>
>Which you should read sooner than later.

I'm working on the "robots" tutorial now and have test messages flowing to
~/Mail/IN-test.
Right now I'm trying to work through the problem that all my mail except the
ones sucessfully filtered
stay in /var/spool/mail/lba
instead of going into ~/Mail/Inbox.

Larry Alkoff