Re: Starting to run Mutt

* Larry Alkoff <labradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-10-04 23:31]:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:20:07 -0600, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
>
> >Here is a great tutorial on procmail:
> >http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
> >Tutorials are good. Learn by doing.
>
> Bookmarked also.  Looks long and thorough.  Will read this weekend.

see below

> Procmail seems a little harder and I don't understand it well enough
> (yet) to even start. That's why I just put in the LinuxBrit thing but
> it's way overkill for me at this stage.
>
> Would you suggest a few lines for a skeleton procmailrc?

The url you were presented for procmail is a quick-start 'qs' and will
lead you quickly thru a 'starter' ~/.procmailrc.  It will take 10
minutes and is as good as they come.
http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

> It's a little hard since there are so many programs that have to work
> together - Mutt, fetchmail, procmail, sendmail or postfix, lbdb -
> sheesh.
>
> PMMail (started in OS/2 then to Windows) does everything the above
> programs do in one nice package. I looked at a fair amount of Linux
> mail programs but haven't found anything that I like as a Linux
> equivalent.

The linux way is/was a single program to accomplish a single task as
best possible, vs one program does all and mostly just or maybe passable.

mutt reads and composes mail (primarily, has more capabilities)
fetchmail retrieves mail from pop/imap acc'ts
procmail delivers to folders sorted mail via it's regexs
sendmail/postfix is your mail daemon (I perfer postfix)

lbdb is a database to maintain addresses (dressing, add later)

You will enjoy mutt.
HOG # US1244711           Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/photos