Re: Starting to run Mutt

First off: http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/

You don't have to read it word for word, but you should at least skim it
to be aware of its contents. I printed a hardcopy, bound it and have it
here with me. After skimming it, you'll remember stuff and be able to
look it up later. That will save you a lot of frustration in the future.

A good starter link: http://mutt.blackfish.org.uk/

That helped me out a lot.

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:59:42PM -0500, Larry Alkoff wrote:
> I'm just getting on changing from PMMail on Windows to Mutt on Slackware Linux
> and could use a little advice along the way.

I like Slack. Got 9.1 running here on 2 or 3 machines.

> Only fetchmail and procmail are running, not sendmail because it doesn't do
> maildir format.
> Right now fetchmail is set to KEEP so all messages are still intact on my
> Windows program which I am replacing

If you're not running sendmail, which MTA do you have running? Exim?
QMail? You have to have something to move your mail around your machine
and in and out of the net. ??

> The user is lba and mail is going into /var/spool/mail/lba

Standard.

> I beleive Mutt is getting the mail from /var/spool/mail/lba
> and I can read the messages in Mutt.

Yep. That's where it's getting it from.

> I will be using maildir not mbox format and want to move these messages into
> ~/Mail/Inbox to test it out.
> Later I would want to move the messages into ~/Mail/account1/Inbox and
> ~/Mail/account2/Inbox.

Mutt saves fine in maildir or mbox format. Not a problem.

> Right now there are no messages in either ~/Mail/lba/Inbox or ~/Mail/lba/Spam
> which are the only maildir foldes I have set up as yet.
> I think there is a pemission issue before the folders are recognized by Mutt
> as valid maildir folders but I don't know the magic setting.

Perms should be 700. Mine are 700 and work fine.
chmod 700 ~/Mail/lba/Inbox
That'd do it.

> My understanding is procmail should move the messages from
> /var/spool/mail/lba into the various maildir folders.
> But I'm not sure what to tell it.

Your MTA should call procmail (if I'm not mistaken), and run your
messages through your procmailrc recipes, dumping everything that passes
through into your /var/spool mailbox.

Here is a great tutorial on procmail:
http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/

Tutorials are good. Learn by doing.

> ~/.procmailrc is from LinuxBrit with no changes as yet.  I would like to
> start with a really basic one and build from there.
> ~/.muttrc is using mostly a few colorization lines and key settings and is
> still pretty primitive.

Start simple. Add things when you learn and understand them, or have
time to play around and see how stuff works.

> I hope this is enough information to get some advice and push the project
> further.

One more: http://mark.stosberg.com/Tech/mutt.html

Good luck.

-Greg