Re: Starting to run Mutt

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:36:04 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

>Whoa, slow down, hold up.
>
>Number ONE.  Unless list messages specifically request a personal
>reply in addition to a list reply, *only* reply to the *list*.  I read the
>list or would not have seen your post in the first place and I have
>absolutely *no* need for an additional copy.

I'm very sorry.  I had always thought that people who put their own To:
addresses
on list email had a reason for doing so and have gotten into the habit of
"reply to all".  I'll google and try to find definative guidance on what to do.

Already I see a problem.  For this message, I simply hit "reply"
instead of "reply to all" and _your_ email address was selected by either my
mailer
or the mailing list software.  I've seen that problem discussed.

So maybe the thing to do is "reply to all" and then delete whatever is
appropriate.

>* Larry Alkoff <labradley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [06-11-04 10:11]:
>> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:51:54 -0500, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
>> >
>> >The url you were presented for procmail is a quick-start 'qs' and will
>> >lead you quickly thru a 'starter' ~/.procmailrc.  It will take 10
>> >minutes and is as good as they come.
>> >http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/
>>
>> I'm working with the "robots" tutorial right now.
>>
>> So far I have test messages filtered sucessfully to ~/Mail/IN-testing.
>>
>> But all the other messages seem to be stuck in /var/spool/mail.
>
>*What* messages.  Messages delivered prior to setting rules in procmail?
I'm only concerned with where the new messages are going.
So I have been sending a series of messages with subjects like "test4" or
"hello4"
to see where they go.  Then I tail ~/Procmail/pmlog.

>> I understand that messages that fall through my two filters (IN-testing and
>> rc.subscriptions)
>> should fall through to my default MAILBOX.
>>     procmail -v gives:  Your system mailbox:  /var/spool/mail/lba
>>     but in my ~/.procmailrc I have MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
>
>You have [not|mis] read the quick-start tutorial.  There is a
>difference between *spool* file and *maildir*
>
>ex (my ~/.procmailrc):
>
>  SPOOL=/var/spool/mail
>  MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
>  DEFAULT=$SPOOL/pat
>  COMSAT=no
>
>  #Directory for storing procmail log and rc files
>  PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
>
>  LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
>
>  #Set on when debugging
>  VERBOSE=off
>
>  # Remove ## when debugging; set to no if you want minimal logging
>  LOGABSTRACT=all
>
>  LOG="
>
>  "
>
>  INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists
>

>> Do I need another filter for "default" mail to go to my specified inbox?
>
>default mail is delivered to DEFAULT
>default mail is that which is *not* directed otherwise by a procmail rule

OK thanks.  That fixed my problem.
For the moment I have DEFAULT set to ~/Mail/Inbox.
I also let procmail setup the mailbox which it did with new, cur and tmp
subdirectories.
The only problem is in Mutt I always have to c to ~/Mail/Inbox/new.

>no, you have [not|mis] read the quick-start tutorial.  Procmail
>delivers the mail based on your procmail rules.  It does not *move* it.

It looks to me like procmail completely bypasses "Your default mailbox:
/var/spool/mail/lba"
when mail is caught by a filter or falls through to the DEFAULT.

Mail with subject: test sent before I started procmail of course still exists
in /var/spool/mail/lba
although it looks like Mutt wants to move it.

>> How can I (and _should_ I) change /var/spool/mail/lba to something else?
>
>reconsider this question
I understand now that procmail bypasses /var/spool/mail/lba when it knows where
to place the mail.

>> I know and understand what you have said but it's HARD.
>
>one step at a time.  If you try to address it all at once, you will be
>lost.  Make a change/addition/deletion, then test, then again.  If you
>do two things and it does not work, you will not know which was/is wrong.
>
>> >You will enjoy mutt.
>> I'm looking forward to getting it going.
>
>The *first* step is *always* the hardest <grin>.
>
>The main thing is to try, RTFM, try, RTFM, try, ask questions.  This is
>a very helpful list and the mutt doc's are among, if not the best in
>linuxdom.

Agreed about both the helpful list and good mutt docs.

Thanks, Larry

Larry Alkoff N2LA - Austin TX