Re: Just a question

> It was Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 06:11:14PM -0400 when Aaron said:
> Mike M <linux-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said,
> >
> > I use:
> > POP3->getmail->procmail->Maildir->mutt->nullmailer->SmartHostSMTPserver@ISP
> >

> At the moment, I use something more like:
>
> POP3 -> fetchmail -> procmail -> mbox -> mutt -> ssmtp -> SMTP @ webhost
>
> I really want to try moving to using fetchmail/getmail (I would switch
> if the reasons were overwhelming), and Maildir rather than mbox, but the
> task seems a bit daunting for that conversion. I'm also considering
> local IMAP, although I need someone to point out why that would be
> beneficial aside from being really cool.
<snip>

Why would IMAP be beneficial? It all depends on your needs/wants really.

Install a web server and squirrelmail and you can check your e-mail from
any PC with a web browser anywhere in the world. If you have access to
mutt then you can check your mailbox at home via your IMAP server from
wherever.

If you don't want IMAP to slow down local mail stuff you can still use
mutt with your maildirs. I highly recommend a local IMAP server for your
mail. It can't hurt! (It's even hard to mess up an IMAP server
installation, at least this is the case with Courier on Gentoo)

I currently use IMAP locally and as long as you keep archive folders for
folders that get big (>2000 messages IMO) then the speed issue is not
really an issue at all.

--
Sami Samhuri