Re: Just a question

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:59:57AM -0500, Aaron wrote:
> How many of you out there retrieve your mail from POP3 boxes out on the
> 'net, perhaps from your ISP and/or website host, and also run a local
> IMAP server for reading it?
>
> Among those of you who do, what is your selection of programs to achieve
> this? Do you use UW-IMAP, Cyrus, etc.? qmail, postfix, fetchmail...? Am
> I getting categories mixed up?
>
> Right now I run fetchmail to retrieve mail from 4 POP3 boxes on the
> 'net, and then procmail is invoked to deliver them into the various mbox
> files in my home directory (I am the only mail user). I am considering
> Maildir format because I've heard it's quicker to browse, but I
> understand that if you use Cyrus, your mail is stored in their format
> and it would be pointless to convert it all to Maildir first.
>
> What is YOUR ideal configuration? Just curious.

I use:
POP3->getmail->procmail->Maildir->mutt->nullmailer->SmartHostSMTPserver@ISP

I have a single user Linux system and I am pleased with how things
are working.

I rarely throw away email and that leads to _very_ large mbox
files, and poor MUA performance.  Maildir has been a pleasant change
so far but I need to continue with this setup and my sloppy ways for
another year or so before I make any conclusions.

Am I missing out on anything important by running the minimalist MTA
nullmailer instead of a more sophisticated MTA as described above?

Should Courier be added to the list of IMAP server?
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.