Re: Just a question

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 02:22:45PM -0500, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 04:32:22PM EST, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > Mike M <linux-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Am I missing out on anything important by running the minimalist MTA
> > > nullmailer instead of a more sophisticated MTA as described above?
> >
> > No, especially considering you're using your ISP's smarthost.  The only
> > thing
> > a "real" MTA would buy you would be if you wanted to send email to another
> > user on your system (i.e. host local mail yourself).
>
> Well, if you get a home network, you may want a real MTA to avoid
> having your intranetwork mail go for a detour on the World Wide Wait.
> Personally, even if I were only running a single-user, solitary desktop,
> it'd still hurt me to run a stripped-down service.  Maybe it's just a
> craziness I have; I dunno. . .

Got 15 CPUs.  I do lots of ssh, scp, and nfs, but not emailing between
the machines.  Nevertheless, your point is well taken.  I think once
I have a need (or finally realize I should have a need) for local
email, then I'll put on the real MTA.  This is what happens when
a software developer tries to be a sysadmin :-).
--
Mike

Moving forward in pushing back the envelope of the corporate paradigm.