How does mutt know which key to use to encrypt to the sender?

Let me ask a related question: How does mutt know which key to use to
encrypt (not sign) to the sender?

I can figure out how it knows which key to use for the recipient. It
either uses the email address, or prompts the user. But I don't see
any mechanism for selecting the key to associate with the From:
address, other than pgp-hook, which I am not using for this.