Re: atime/mtime

On Thursday, 25 June 2009 at 22:32, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 23 21:00, Moritz Barsnick wrote:
> > Hi Derek, list,
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:33:59 -0500, Derek Martin wrote:
> > > For what it's worth, the way I would most prefer to process my mail
> > > would be like this:
> >
> > Thanks for this. It pretty much conforms to my work model.
> >
> > > nagging the user about new mail in folders they visited recently (you
> > > would, of course, set mark_old).
> >
> > The new work model is a large change for myself. If I have no choice, I
> > will have to go along and do it that way. I agree that keeping mails
> > marked as "new" does not allow differentiation between "now but seen" and
> > "new and not yet seen". But it has worked for me so well for such a
> > long time. Like you, I don't go to the length to mark/flag emails once
> > I've seen them, even at work using Outlook. I just take notice of them,
> > and make sure I go through everything which is still marked new later.
> > I can't go through the pain of marking tens or hundreds of new mails as
> > "check later".
>
> Isn't there a chance to have an option to switch to the old or new
> behaviour by user's choice?  Even if the old behaviour is thought of as
> a bug, the old behaviour was nice, not illogical, and quite a lot of
> people, including myself, got used to it and would like to keep using it
> since their usage model of mutt is based on it.

Yes.

Right now new mail handling is inconsistent between the various
formats, and users of each format have formed different
expectations. So we need to do two things:

1. Make new mail handling consistent across formats. Rocco's patch is
a step in this direction, I think.

2. Make new mail handling more flexible. It should support the habits
of mbox, maildir, and IMAP users equally well. I want this done before
1.6.

I think we'll end up making a table of how new mail and unread old
mail should be handled by the buffy list, c' ',
c<next-unread-mailbox>, mutt startup, etc. A long time ago Vladimir
Marek started on this, but I got busy and dropped it. I'll find the
time this summer to get it done.