Re: [ANNOUNCE] mutt 1.5.16 released

On 2007-06-17 09:48:48 -0400, Derek Martin wrote:

> > > No it doesn't.  My mailcap has no code in it whatsoever.  Just simple
> > > command lines (which is not code).  Typing the name of a program with
> > > arguments is not the same as writing code.
> >
> > You don't know what you're talking about. This simply doesn't work.
>
> You're probably right.  I've only been using mailcap for about 15
> years... I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.
>
> FWIW, my mailcap consists of exactly this:
>
>   image/*; gthumb %s
>   application/msword; ooffice %s
>   application/pdf; evince %s
>   application/postscript ; evince %s
>   text/html; /usr/bin/htmlview %s ; copiousoutput

This does not work under Mac OS X.

> No code at all, unless you consider the parameter substitution to be
> code... which I don't.

But I assume that you're not able to give a mailcap that works under
Mac OS X without a line of code.

Also your mailcap is simplistic. In practice, you should test that
DISPLAY is set before starting an X11 client, so that a fallback can
be used.

> > > Besides which, even if it were necessary, Unix machines normally have
> > > system administrators, especially in places where the end users are
> > > neither system admins nor programmers.  All that is needed is a
> > > sysadmin with half a clue to create a system mailcap that works for
> > > everyone.
> >
> > So, the sysadmin could also solve the problem with vi...
>
> He could, but he shouldn't have to.

Then this is also true for the mailcap file.

> If the problem needs solving, that's Mutt's job. A lot of people
> reading mail on a Unix system are people who are just starting out
> with Linux... they have an inclination to tinker but still they are
> not programmers, and again, regardless of whether they are capable
> or not, it should never be the user's job to fix flaws in his mail
> client... that's the job of the application developer. Mutt's
> designed to work with vi on Unix systems.. if it can't deal with the
> stock vi on some systems without falsely reporting the editor
> failed, that seems obviously to be a flaw to me.

The flaw is in vi. This is not Mutt's job to fix flaws in other
software.